Today the second round of PPP is starting. PPP or Paycheck Protection Plan is the government assistance program to small business owners to help them weather the downturn caused by the pandemic.
Applications for round two start on January 19, 2021 and even if you received money last time, you still may be eligible. Two key criteria are that you must have opened the business prior to February 15, 2020 and if you’re a sole proprietorship you must have shown a profit on your 2019 tax return.
How much can you get? First-time borrowers are eligible up to 2.5 times their monthly payroll or if you’re a sole proprietorship you can borrower up to 2.5 times the monthly profit. See this link for more info
Do you have to pay it all back? Your loan can be forgiven if you follow the rules that at least 60% goes to payroll expenses and the other 40% goes to rent and utilities (in the new round expenses towards developing social distancing and following health mandates are also applicable).
Reach out to us if you have any questions on this or other financing (remember refinancing is often still a great idea with today’s rates!)